Gender Equality Enhancement Fund 2023
Following the first round of funding under the Gender Equality Enhancement Fund 2023, the Second Call of the Gender Equality Enhancement Fund 2023 now open.
Higher Education Institutions are invited to submit proposals to the HEA through the Application Form and in line with the requirements set out in the Call for Applications. Proposals should be submitted to the HEA by email to EDI@hea.ie.
The Second Call of the Gender Equality Enhancement Fund 2023 opened on the 11th of September. The closing date for applications is 12:00 noon on the 31st of October 2023. Late proposals will not be accepted.
The First Call of the Gender Equality Enhancement Fund 2023 opened on the 10th of March and the closing date for applications was the 31st of May 2023. Higher Education Institutions were invited to submit proposals to the HEA through the Application Form and in line with the requirements set out in the Call for Applications.
The outcome of the Gender Equality Enhancement Fund 2023 was announced 11th September 2023. Details of the funded projects are included below.
The HEA has awarded funding of €877,076 under the Gender Equality Enhancement Fund to advance gender equality initiatives in Irish higher education.
Awards were made across three areas:
- research on or advancing gender equality initiatives in Ireland;
- training programmes specifically addressing gender equality;
- Athena SWAN capacity-building activities.
Projects were funded across several areas which include the below:
- the promotion of female role models in the physical sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics (pSTEM);
- development and implementation of gender identity, expression and diversity training for staff in Irish HEIs;
- establishment of networks to support female participation in computer science;
- resources to support the academic advancement of mid-career female staff;
- provision of gender equality-based leadership training to future leaders;
- development of resources to assist departments in modelling gender-disaggregated data against national trends;
- embedding equality, diversity and inclusion into the curriculum;
- teaching and learning and teacher education;
- an investigation of how gender stereotypes contribute to gender inequality;
- support for the increased visibility and participation of women economists in public discourse;
- research into the impact of menopause on the careers of women in Irish higher education;
- addressing the Gender Pay Gap;
- investigating the gender dimension in computing research;
- engaging men in building gender equality;
- exploration of the systemic factors at post-primary and higher education level that contribute to gender representation in Language Studies; analysis of the nature of change and transformation with respect to gender equality, inclusion, and diversity across higher education;
- and an open and free of charge Equality Charter Symposium;
- development of a Leadership Development Programme for the Technological HE sector;
- examine the efficacy of leadership development programmes.
Gender Equality Enhancement Fund - 2020 Projects
Mid-Career Development Programme for Women – DCU, DkIT and University of Galway
The development and implementation of a Gender Identity, Expression & Diversity Training Programme for staff in Irish HEIs – Carlow College, IT Carlow, LIT, MIC and WIT
Supporting Athena SWAN in the Mathematical Sciences: Benchmarking and Networking – DCU, University of Galway, UCC, UCD and UL
TechMate: A best practice toolkit for driving sustainable acceleration towards gender equality in technology disciplines in HEIs – IT Carlow, MU, TU Dublin and UCD
You can be what you can see: pSTEM Role Models – IT Sligo, TU Dublin and UCD
Preparing for Academic Advancement (PAA) – MU, University of Galway and UL
Gender Equality Enhancement Fund - 2021 Projects
Increasing the voice of women economists in the media and public discourse through training and promotion – TU Dublin, TCD, UCC, UCD and UL
Getting ahead versus getting along: Investigating how gender stereotypes are contributing to gender inequality in HEIs – DCU, TU Dublin and UL
Embedding Gender Identity, Expression & Diversity Training and Best Practice into Irish HEIs – AIT, Carlow College, IT Carlow, LIT, MIC, and WIT
Integrating the gender dimension into teaching, learning and educational outreach in initial teacher education – DCU, IT Sligo, MIC, MU, and TCD
Preparing for Academic Advancement (PAA) – DCU, MU, University of Galway, TCD, UCC, and UCD and UL
Gender Equality Enhancement Fund - 2022 Projects
Edited Academic Publication entitled ‘Transforming Gender Equality and Inclusion within Higher Education in Ireland – Contemporary Perspectives’ – MIC, TCD, University of Galway, and UL
Gender Equality in Language Studies (GELS) – DCU, MTU, MU and UL
Engaging men in building gender equality – the development of a pilot programme in Irish HEIs – DkIT, IADT, MIC, MTU, MU, NCI, University of Galway, RCSI, TUS, UCC, UCD and UL
Addressing the Gender Pay Gap in Irish Higher Education – MIC, TCD, UCD, University of Galway and UL
INDICATOR: Investigating the Gender Dimension in Computing Research across the Irish HEI sector – ATU, DkIT, SETU, TCD and TU Dublin
Equality Charters Symposium Ireland – aiming higher, moving forward together – TCD, TU Dublin, University of Galway and UCD
Gender Equality Enhancement Fund - 2023 Projects
Enabling Gender Equality during Transformational Change: a leadership programme for the Technological Higher Education Sector – ATU, DKIT, IADT, MTU, SETU, TU Dublin and TUS
Stronger together? Evaluation of single gender vs mixed leadership development programmes in Higher Education Institutions – DCU, TU Dublin, UCC, University of Galway and UL
*lead applicants are indicated in bold.