What is a Healthy Campus?
‘A Healthy Campus adopts a holistic understanding of health, takes a whole campus approach and aspires to create a learning environment and organisational culture that enhances the health and wellbeing of its community and enables people to achieve their full potential.’
Healthy Campus Charter and Framework
The Healthy Campus Charter and Framework was cocreated, through a consultative process, by Higher Education Institutions, the Department of Health, and the HSE. In 2022 the Framework was officially transferred to the Higher Education Authority (HEA), supported by Healthy Ireland. The Healthy Campus Charter and Framework supports HEIs in their work to support the health and wellbeing of the campus community. The Framework includes:
- a definition of a healthy campus
- four key areas of a whole campus approach – Leadership, Strategy and Governance, Campus Environment (Facilities and Services), Campus Culture and Communications and Personal and Professional Development
- an outline of the healthy campus process (an inclusive, co-ordinated approach to improving health and wellbeing) and
- the Healthy Campus Charter
The Healthy Campus Framework Aims
- To create a shared understanding of a Healthy Campus to guide and inspire action by Higher Education Institutions.
- To support and recognise the work of Higher Education Institutions in improving the health and wellbeing of campus communities.
- To generate and disseminate knowledge for promoting health and wellbeing in Higher Education Institutions
Charter Signing Events
A total of six institutions have organised an official Healthy Campus Charter signing event with Presidents, the National Healthy Campus Coordinator, SU Presidents and Healthy Campus Steering Committees.
Events have taken place at IADT, UCC & MTU (joint), UL, MIC, and DkIT.
Active Healthy Campus Weblink Initiatives
- Healthy Trinity – Healthy Trinity – Healthy Trinity – Trinity College Dublin (tcd.ie)
- Healthy UL – Healthy UL | University of Limerick
- Healthy ATU Sligo – Healthy Campus – Atlantic Technological University Sligo (itsligo.ie)
- Healthy ATU Donegal – Healthy Campus (lyit.ie)
- Healthy ATU Galway – Healthy Campus | ATU – Atlantic Technological University (gmit.ie)
- Healthy DCU – DCU Healthy | Dublin City University | dcuhealthy
- Healthy DkIT – DkIT Launches Healthy Campus Initiative / News / DkIT – Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Healthy MTU Cork – MTU and UCC sign Healthy Campus Charters | Munster Technological University – MTU
- Healthy UCC – Health Promoting University | University College Cork (ucc.ie)
- Healthy NUIG – Safe Campus – University of Galway
- Healthy TU Dublin – Healthy Campus | TU Dublin
- Healthy TUS Athlone – Healthy Campus | Technological University of the Shannon (ait.ie)
- Healthy UCD – Healthy UCD
- Healthy MTU Kerry – A Healthy Lifestyle – MTU – Munster Technological University – Kerry Campus (ittralee.ie)
- Healthy TUS Limerick – TUS | Student Health (lit.ie)
- Healthy SETU Carlow – SETU Carlow, South East Technological University Carlow Campus (itcarlow.ie)