Innovation 2020 sets out a clear vision and action plan for Ireland to become a Global Innovation Leader by 2020.
Its 2020 vision comprises:
“Ireland – a Global Innovation Leader driving a strong sustainable economy and a better society underpinned by:
- Excellent research in strategically important areas that has relevance and impact for the economy and society;
- A strong innovative and internationally competitive enterprise base, growing employment, sales and exports;
- A renowned pool of talent both in Ireland’s public research system and in industry that maximises exchange of talent and knowledge;
- A coherent joined-up innovation ecosystem, responsive to emerging opportunities, delivering enhanced impact through the creation and application of knowledge;
- An internationally competitive research system that acts as a magnet and catalyst for talent and industry”.
The higher education system – its research activity, staff and students – are central to the success of Innovation 2020. The HEA supports the implementation of the Strategy through engagement in key advisory groups such as the Innovation 2020 Implementation Group, chaired by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, and the Higher Education Research Group, chaired by the Department of Education and Skills. It also works to ensure alignment between Innovation 2020 and the system’s wider strategic development as set out through the System Performance Framework.